The European Commission presents a framework for encouraging the use of public private partnerships (PPPs) to meet existing and future needs for investment in public services, infrastructure and research in Europe.
The framework involves:
- increased funding for PPPs through working with the EIB, by re-focusing existing Community instruments and by developing guarantee instruments for PPP financing;
- in cases involving EU funding, better rules and procedures in order to ensure a level playing field between wholly publicly managed projects and those managed under PPPs;
- a more effective framework for innovation, including the possibility for the EU to participate in private law bodies and directly invest in specific projects;
- considering an EU legislative instrument on concessions, based on the ongoing Impact Assessment;
- improved information dissemination and exchange of best practice; including the creation of a new PPP group in which relevant stakeholders can share their concerns and further ideas with regard to PPPs.