The leader of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats in the European Parliament has set out 11 conditions on the future Presidency of the European Commission. Martin Schulz has called on Jose Manuel Barroso to “enter immediately into a serious and intensive political dialogue” on the conditions.
Some of the conditions are:
- Improved coordination of European macroeconomic policies;
- A European Employment Pact to safeguard employment, create new and better jobs, fight mass unemployment, and especially youth unemployment;
- A Social Progress Pact to make clear that neither economic freedoms, nor competition rules take priority over fundamental social rights;
- A more comprehensive and coordinated European external action toward our partners in the world and notably the Unites States;
- A new legal framework to safeguard and clarify the legal status of public services throughout Europe.
This is an ambitious list, for sure.