The Council of the EU has adopted new feed regulation that should simplify and modernize procedures for labeling and marketing animal feed and pet food..
The main changes are:
- Responsibility of the feed business operators is expanded also to those dealing with pet food, an area in which the recent melamine incidents revealed a gap;
- New list with prohibited substances for feed use;
- “Bio-proteins” have to comply with the general provisions for feed materials;
- Mandatory labelling particulars for feed materials and mixed feed;
- Solution to the controversial issue of the declaration of feed materials in compound feed (so called “open declaration”) in a balanced way to allow innovation and, at the same time, appropriate information for the customers.
- Creation of a guide to good labelling for farm animal feed and one for pet food on the initiative of the stakeholders (feed manufacturers and users) and approved by the Commission (Co-regulation).
- Establishment of a Community Catalogue of feed materials in co-regulation.