A report by Rem Korteweg and Richard Podkolinski from the Hague Centre for Strategic Studies claim that a trend of de-solidarisation of NATO is observed.
The authors find eight strategic dilemmas for the Alliance:
- The impact of the shift to a multipolar system and the global economic recession on the Alliance’s credibility and capabilities, and the increasing global demand for security;
- NATO’s role in resource scarcity;
- The need for NATO to address proliferation and redefine its deterrent posture;
- The demand to increase NATO’s strategic ambitions;
- The difficulty to achieve success in Afghanistan;
- The discord over NATO’s strategic orientation;
- Divergent views on NATO enlargement;
- The discord over relations with Russia.
The authors believe that a new Alliance Strategic Concept must find a resolution to these dilemmas.